- 1 in 10 children are sexually abused before their 18th birthday.
- 42 million adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse are walking among us.
- In 90% of cases, the child knows and trusts the abuser.
- Children are victims of 70% of all reported sexual assaults.
- 1 in 5 children are sexually assaulted while on the Internet.
- Survivors of child sexual abuse have a higher likelihood of psychological disorders, excessive drug and alcohol use, eating disorders, suicidal tendencies, and violence.
Prevention is the Answer
Shasta County Child Abuse Prevention Coordinating Council has partnered with Darkness to Light to bring the Stewards of Children child sexual abuse prevention training to our communities. Stewards of Children is the only evidence-based training available nationally that is proven to increase knowledge and change child protective behavior. Our Y is working with schools, day cares, community organizations, faith groups, and more to train community members to keep our children safe. Our goal is to train 21,460 people in our community by the year 2015. When adults actively seek to make a difference, a cultural change can occur. We’re working to shift from a norm where child sexual abuse is kept in fear and denial and children are easy targets, to a community where every child is protected through a community of trained and aware adults.
Stewards of Children
Stewards of Children is a training designed to educate adults on how to recognize, prevent, and react responsibly to the reality of child sexual abuse, emphasizing child safety is every adult’s responsibility. Our goal is simple: to educate and prepare our community to deal with and prevent child sexual abuse. The training teaches the steps to preventing abuse, recognizing warning signs, and reacting responsibly when abuse occurs.
Darkness to Light Training will address:
- Prevalence and consequences of child sexual abuse for communities and organizations
- What situations create risk for abuse
- Practical strategies for protecting children from sexual abuse
- Behaviors and grooming techniques practiced by perpetrators
- How to intervene and react responsibly if warning signs appear or abuse is discovered
For more information on how to book a training for your group or to find out about upcoming training classes,